When performing code reviews one of our checklist items, is "what package did you put your development in?" , when we work with external developers we always get a puzzled look so Ill try and explain why it can be useful. I recently responded to a stack overflow post asking whether ABAP had a similar functionality to libraries in other languages.

I am on occasion asked how to decide the best type of modification to make to an SAP system.  Any modification made to the standard SAP system incurs cost, the largest part of this cost is rarely the cost of the initial coding, testing etc. but the long term cost of maintaining the modification. I took a stab at trying to map out how I would compare the various techniques for modification based on long term costs and ease of use.

This will be the first in a series of blogs that will hopefully introduce you to eCATTs  and explain the various important eCATT objects and how to use them. In this first blog I will cover:

  1. What is an eCATT?.
  2. Pre-requisites and settings required before using eCATTs.
  3. Introduce the four important eCATT objects – Test Configuration, Test Data Container, System Data Container and Test Script.

In part I of my eCATT series of blogs, I covered the introduction to eCATTs, prerequisites, basic features, and the four main eCATT’s objects.

In this post I will explain in greater detail the test script editor and I will provide detail on how to record a test script using the SAP GUI mode.

Test Script Editor

The test script editor is used to create and maintain test scripts. You can use the recording functions, or directly input eCATT commands into the command editor to create test scripts.  The test script editor contains the following areas:

A customer of ours recently asked us to look into a problem they were having generating an accurate data report related to materials. This was a standard report and the functionality has been pretty solid for sometime. What we found was that at some point fields in the material master were hijacked for use in classifying materials, when it came time to use the fields for their intended purpose they were already being used so a work around was developed. I won’t go into too much detail as it’ll distract from my point but the end result was that standard reports were not working as SAP intended. The customer was forced to redevelop the standard reports (they did not move the data because a custom application had been developed on top of the various hijacked fields so redeveloping the report seemed easier) to be able to report properly. I certainly do not have a feel for the costs involved but I imagine that maintenance and of course the workarounds are going to have a long term cost.

     
Go To Top