You are probably aware that we are not fans of Java on the client. Quite frankly, considering the constant updates needed and the inability to shut off Java checks for updates, it's time for something new. I have been happily using SAPgui 7.2 without a problem for over a year now. Our developers recently encountered a problem with the older SAPgui that was fixed in 7.3, so it became time to update.


I downloaded the SAPGui 7.3 rev 8 and installed it on my Mac - should have been as easy as I imagined.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sadly, it wasn’t. First, I got a message that it could not find the current JRE. I don’t have the JDK installed, but I do have the JRE installed and I thought it was working perfectly.  

 

Since the old SAPgui was installed, I checked to see if it was still operational and I could use that to troubleshoot what was happening. From the looks of it, SAPgui is still using 1.60, which is the Java VM that Apple provides by default. This happened even though I installed Java 1.70 a year ago successfully. This is why I hate working with Java. So now, I have two different versions running - which is know is supported, but I am sure like most corporate desktops we only want to run one version so we can try and support that.   


Sure enough, when running Java – Versions it lists 1.6. Based on a tip, I downloaded the full on JDK 217MB and installed it and that solved the problem.

 

 

 

Apparently the newest SAPgui version requires the full JDK install, as opposed to just the JRE that most people have installed.

  

I’ll look into the why a little bit later, but now that I have the solution just thought I'd share it. Later…

 

     
Go To Top